As promised I am sharing the breakfast strata I made over the weekend and talked about in Monday’s post. This recipe is extremely versatile and would be delicious with many combinations of veggies and meats. The base of my strata was potatoes and a roughly chopped bagel but i could see this being delicious with waffles, english muffins, regular toast or croissants.
Serves 6 – 8
Prep time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 60 minutes
- 2 cups roasted creamer potatoes (mine were left over from dinner a few nights before)
- 1 bagel, toasted and chopped into 1″ pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 celery stalks
- 6 breakfast sausage links, diced (I used 4 chicken breakfast sausage and 2 regular)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup egg whites (I used liquid egg whites – less mess, less waste)
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 8×8 or baking dish with cooking spray and place potatoes and bagel (or your choice of “bread”) on the bottom.
- In a large pan, vegetables and breakfast sausage in olive oil until veggies are slightly soft. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, almond milk, salt, pepper and onion powder. Add vegetables and sausage and stir to combine.
- Pour egg mixture over your base. Press down with the back of a spoon on mixture so everything soaks into the base.
- Place strata in the oven and bake for 60 minutes, or until a knife or toothpick inserted into the middle of the strata comes out clean.
- Allow to cool slightly before slicing and serving.
Recipe adapted from this recipe. Her pictures came out WAY better than mine.