This dairy free lasagna substitutes butternut squash puree for cheese and replaces traditional ground beef with ground turkey. What is not replaced? All of the flavor!Butternut Squash Bolognese Lasagna! http://alwaysemilyh.com/dairy-free-lasagna/ via @alwaysemilyh | Its #dairyfree! Click To Tweet
This was my first attempt at making lasagna. It was a labor of love and certainly not something I will be doing all that often. Boy, boy was all the work worth it.
I have been looking for a dairy free lasagna recipe for as long as I can remember because I love the idea of lasagna but I don’t like cheese (except on pizza). All of the recipes I found included a cheese substitute made from cashews or almonds with nutritional yeast which just seemed like a waste of a layer to me.
Then I found a vegetarian lasagna that used butternut squash instead of a meat layer. Butternut squash! I new this would work for my dairy free lasagna in place of the cheese layer. I wasn’t sure if it would work but low and behold, it did!
Butternut Squash Bolognese Dairy Free Lasagna
This lasagna, as all lasagnas, takes multiple steps for it to come together. I spaced out all of the prep work between 2 days over the weekend.
Step 1 – Make Butternut Squash Puree/Mash
I used this recipe and mashed the cooked squash in a bowl once the squash cooled. I did this step the day before I planned to make the lasagna.
Step 2 – Prep Veggies for the Bolognese
The bolognese I made had onion, carrots, celery and garlic which all needed to be finely chopped. I decided to do this step the day before I made this delicious dairy free lasagna.
Step 3 – Make the Bolognese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1½ cups finely chopped/minced celery
- 1½ cups finely chopped/minced carrots
- 5 cloves finely minced garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 6 ounces (1 small can) tomato paste
- 28 ounces (1 large can) tomatoes (crushed, diced, whole)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- handful loosely packed basil, chopped (this can be omitted if you don’t have any on hand)
- In a large heavy pot over medium high heat, add the olive oil, onions, garlic, carrots and celery and the bay leaves and let cook for 5-7 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the ground beef and ground turkey and break up as you cook through another 5-7 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and the large can of crushed tomatoes, then add the dried oregano and the fresh basil and stir in. If using whole or diced tomatoes, softly squish with potato masher to incorporate.
- Put a lid on the sauce and turn the heat to low. Let simmer for at least 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Step 4 – Cook the Lasagna Noodles
While the bolognese is simmering, cook the lasagna noodles according to the box. I only ended up using about 2/3 of the noodles for the lasagna. I saved the extra noodles to eat at some point throughout the week.
Step 5 – Assembling the Lasagna
(If you are planning to bake your dairy free lasagna right away, pre-heat your oven to 375° F before assembling)
This is the fun part! First, put a layer of the butternut squash puree on the bottom of our pan.
Then, add a layer (about 2 cups) of your bolognese on top of the squash layer.
Next, add noodles to cover the bolognese layer. My pan required 3 of the lasagna noodles.
For the second layer of noodles, I doubled up and used 6 noodles because they are delicious.
Finally, add the remaining bolognese atop the noodle layer.
Step 6 – Bake the Dairy Free Lasagna
Cover your lasagna with foil and bake in pre-heated over for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, remove the foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
Let the lasagna cool for a bit before slicing in and devouring it!
This dairy free lasagna is so delicious and it makes enough to serve a large family or to save for leftovers. I plan on eating for lunch everyday and for dinner at least once this week.
I hope you enjoy this recipe!