For years, my morning routine was, for lack of better words, a shit show. Morning time was stressful and I regularly left the house frenzied, forgetting one thing or another.
Rewind to late 2013/early 2014 – I had just moved in with SL and was in grad school and working in Boston. On days I had class, I left the house around 7:00 am and wouldn’t get home until 10:00 pm. My morning routine would be to hit the snooze button multiple times, take the fasted shower ever, grab random food and head out the door like a a bat out of hell.
(this picture is old and clearly from winter but its the best early morning photo I have)
This morning routine was stressful and I more often than not, I did not leave the house in the morning fully prepared for my long days.
Streamlining My Morning Routine
Not gonna lie, my mornings aren’t laid back or relaxed but they’re no longer stressful. I am lucky in that I don’t have to leave the house until 8:00 am so I have the time to do things like workout and blog.
I choose to wake up before the sun because I like getting my workouts in before work.
Here’s a summary of my morning routine (when I workout in the morning):
- 5:30 am: Wake up
- 5:50 am:. Arrive at the studio and workout
- 6:50 am: Arrive back at home and eat breakfast and drink coffee/tea/bone broth/hot water with lemon
- 7:15 am: Shower
- 7:30 am: Get dressed, do “makeup” (<– eyeliner and mascara, that’s it)
- 7:50 am: Blog things – quickly write, put finishing touches on previously written posts, publish posts
- 8:05 am: Leave for work – listen to podcasts on the way (here are some of my favorites)
- 8:30 am: Arrive at work
On mornings when I don’t workout, I sleep in until 7:00 am which feels like a treat!
My morning routine has become more streamlined by implementing a few things
- Layout workout clothes in the bathroom the night before.
- Prep breakfasts for the week over the weekend.
- Prep lunches for SL and I the night before. I usually just pack leftovers in single serving containers.
- Go to bed early so when I wake up, I’m rested and not enticed to press that snooze button.